Friday, December 12, 2008

Friday's Favorite: 2 kinds of reading

Remember last week, I said that Friday would be a day to share some of my favorite things? Well this week my life got...easier? more entertaining? more efficient?...thanks to Google Reader.

Oh my goodness do I love Google Reader! Maybe you can click on the picture to read more about it, or maybe you can just google Google Reader. I've now said Google so many times in the past few that it sounds weird. Which makes me think of how just a few years ago saying google just once would've sounded kind of weird.
Anyway, here's why I love Google Reader:
Sometimes on the weekends (when I was working and my main free time was on weekends) I would get the idea to check out the blogs in my bookmarks. Well, sometimes people had posted so many times since the last time I checked that I had a bunch to catch up on. Sometimes people hadn't posted at all. Both scenarios were equally irritating. I would try to remember which people updated often and which people didn't. Sometimes I would hear about a contest on someone's blog and totally miss it because that particular blog was maybe lost under a billion other bookmarks. So last weekend I started loading the blogs I visit in Google Reader. And life is good. Now I just go in my e-mail, click "Reader" and see all the new things people have posted since the night (or two hours) before. If somebody didn't post anything, it doesn't bother me, because I didn't click on that link and wait forever for my crummy internet to open the page up for nothing. Looooove it!

In more traditional reading, I've joined the rest of the world and read the Twilight Saga. I'm actually finishing up the 4th book still. I've enjoyed the books, but I haven't devoured them the way I've heard/read about some people doing!
When I was reading the first book, I was really worried that there was something wrong with me, because I just didn't love it the way other people made it seem that I should. I ended up deciding that that was because I already knew too much about the storyline to be too excited about turning each page. Once I got to page 250 or so though, I couldn't put it down. I finished the first book on a Saturday and put my shoes on and grabbed my keys to go to the BX for the 2nd. Of course, the BX didn't have the 2nd! We went to the PX at Camp Foster on Sunday evening, and I finished the 2nd book by Tuesday evening...and went to work on Monday and Tuesday! The 2nd book was my favorite I think. Had to borrow the 3rd book from the school nurse (because neither the BX nor the PX had that one!). The 3rd book was my least favorite... I was frankly just getting quite sick of Bella by this time. First of all, I was irritated by the whole Bella/Edward/Jacob thing by this point, and second of all, I think maybe I was just spending too much time "with" Bella. I can only spend so much time with anyone before I start to get antsy. I kept myself from starting the 4th book right away, because I had a lot of work to do to move out of my classroom, prepare for Thanksgiving, and make 19 days worth of lesson plans. So I just started that last week. I think I don't want to finish it, because I don't want it to be over!

1 comment:

Cyndi said...

Love reading your blogs.. Keep it coming. So onto the saga. I'm on the second book. And like you I wanted to know what all the hype was about. When I read, I like have to finish it no matter what in 2-3 days. I'm an obsessive reader. I think I need a support group. Just about to finish book 2. Gonna catch the flick sometime this weekend.

Related Posts with Thumbnails