1. What did you do in 2008 that you hadn’t done before?
Got my foot x-rayed. Volunteered at Special Olympics.
2. Did anyone close to you give birth?
I don't think so. Or at least they didn't tell me about it!
3. Did anyone close to you die?
My great-aunt Mary. She was 101! She lived in FL and I saw her in 07, but when she lived in IN, I spent lots of time with her and my grandma.
4. Did you travel? Where did you go?
To China (well, to the airport in China!) and Australia.
5. Best thing you bought?
I'm going to say it was my step tansu.
6. Where did most of your money go?
7. What do you wish you had done more of?
8. What do you wish you had done less of?
Since I'm answering now, I might say eating Christmas cookies. Had I answered before the Christmas cookies invaded my house, I would have said wasted time on the internet.
9. What kept you sane?
Time to myself, running group, and the Real Housewives of Orange County. They make me feel so normal.
10. What drove you mad?
First graders, cockroaches, and the Real Housewives of Orange County.
11. What made you celebrate?
Presidential election...especially sweet because we were a house divided.
12. What made you sad?
Marley & Me, #3 above, issues with our PCS.
13. How was your birthday this year?
That was SO long ago! 355 days, to be exact. Or maybe 356, because wasn't it a leap year? Anyway, I think we went to Marino's, so my birthday was good! Oh, also I finished my Minimalist Cardigan, so it was great!
14. What political issue stirred you the most this year?
LGBT rights...the whole Proposition 8 issue made me angry. I know we all have the right to our own opinions on this one, but mine is this: is it really more acceptable for an abusive partner to marry than two men or two women? Or a couple who just met over lots of shots in Vegas, but not two men or two women who have been devoted to one another?
15. Were you in love in 2008?
Yes. I fell in love with that cute little koala I got to hold. ;) Kidding!
16. What would you like to have in 2009 that you didn’t have this year?
Visit the states & see my friends & family!
17. What date from 2008 will be etched in your memory and why?
July 6...Gold Coast Marathon.
18. What song will remind you of 2008?
Bleeding Love. It reminds me more of So You Think You Can Dance, not necessarily 2008. Oooh, and Always Be My Baby will make me think of David Cook & American Idol!
19. Compared to this time last year are you happier?
Yes...but also more stressed out!
20. Biggest achievement this year?
Convincing David to run a marathon!
21. Biggest disappointment this year?
Not doing as well as I wanted to in the marathon(s).
22. What is the one thing that would have made you more satisfied?
A better time in a marathon...or spending more time with friends.
23. Best new person you met this year?
My teacher's aide.
24. A valuable life lesson you learned this year?
If the military wanted one to have a family, they would have issued one. ;)
25. How was your health in 2008?
Good health, other than a still-unresolved foot issue that my doctor won't acknowledge.
26. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I kept my Knit Year's Resolutions. And I have made more. And I have also made some non-knitting related goals for 09.
27. What countries did you visit?
China (if the airport counts), Australia, and of course, Japan...it's been a loooooong visit.
28. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Motivation to do the things I need/want to do.
29. Did you suffer hardship in 2008?
I'm sure everyone has gone through some hard times this year, but I feel fortunate that mine weren't really hard enough to make much of a difference. I have so many blessings to count and I hope that those who suffered in 08 will be blessed in 09!
30. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My little friend Elizabeth. She learned to use the big girl potty this year ;)
And my new friend Taro. He was the special olympian that I was assigned to...I loved him and he did very well in the softball throw.
31. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
An acquaintance who got something many people are praying and hoping for and decided to give it up.
32. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Bob winning Survivor. So You Think You Can Dance. Our trip to Australia.
33. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Happier
ii. thinner or fatter? Again, if you had asked me before the Christmas cookies, my answer might have been different. I'm running more than last year though.
iii. richer or poorer? richer
34. How did you spend the New Year’s?
Am I supposed to remember the New Year of 2008?? I know on the 31st we went to Tops in Blue and Macaroni Grill. Not sure what we did on the 1st!
35. How many one-night stands?
Zero. What kind of question is that?
36. What was your favorite TV program?
How much time do you have? Survivor, So You Think You Can Dance, How I Met Your Mother, Real Housewives of Orange County, Rock of Love (*hangs head in shame*), Still Standing reruns, Dateline/48 Hours/etc., Jeopardy, Dexter, I'm probably forgetting some...
37. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Hate is a strong word. But I strongly dislike my so-called-primary-care-provider, Dr. Captain O.
38. What was the best book you read?
I'll go out on a limb and say the Twilight Saga.
39. What was your greatest musical (re)discovery?
This might be lame...Taylor Swift. At first I didn't like her, but now I love her!
40. What did you want and get?
41. What did you want and not get?
PCS orders! Also I wanted a running log/day planner and should have bought it for myself when I saw it at the BX the first time. It was gone when I went back.
42. What was your favorite film that you watched this year?
Snowglobe...no, wait that was still 2007. I really loved Marley & Me! 27 Dresses, Nim's Island, Wanted, The Dark Knight, The Other Boelyn Girl. And because I'm usually a little behind on movies: Enchanted, Stardust, PS I Love You. Oh, The Shop Around the Corner (it's rare that David will sit and watch a movie on Turner Classics!)
43. What one experience do you never want to repeat from this year?
the Okinawa Marathon! I'm so glad I'm leaving before February!
44. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Wear as much as you can before you have to do laundry.
45. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
46. Who did you miss?
My friend Stacy, after May. My friend & running partner Jill. My friends & family at home.
47. Quote that sums up your year:
"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." I'm not sure this actually sums up 2008, but Barney says it in How I Met Your Mother and I like it.
48. Was 2008 a good year for you?
49. What was your favorite moment of the year?
Catching my first glimpse of the Opera House!
50. What was your least favorite moment of the year?
David telling me the first of what would become many many issues with our PCS.
51. Where were you when 2008 began?
52. Who were you with?
53. Do you have a new year’s resolution for 2009?
Read more, run more, do more laundry and generally be tidier.
54. What was your favorite month of 2008?
July because we were in Australia and it was David's birthday and his present was a surprise and he actually liked it!
55. What was your favorite song in 2008?
Bleeding Love (Leona Lewis, maybe?), Our Song, Tim McGraw, Teardrops on My Guitar (Taylor Swift), You're Gonna Miss This (Trace Adkins) & Don't Blink (Kenny Chesney). Like You'll Never See Me Again (Alicia Keys), anything One Republic
56. What was your favorite record from 2008?
I don't think this was actually from 2008, but Carrie Underwood-Some Hearts.
57. How many concerts did you see in 2008?
I don't think we went to any concerts...not even Tops in Blue this year!
58. Did you drink a lot of alcohol in 2008?
No...but I did have that Fuzzy Nable the other night! Hahahaha...
59. Did you do a lot of drugs in 2008?
No...and not in any year before that either!
60. How many people did you sleep with in 2008?
61. Did you do anything you are ashamed of this year?
Forgot some birthdays?
62. What was the worst lie someone told you in 2008?
I don't remember, so it must not have been too terrible.
63. Did you treat somebody badly in 2008?
I hope not.
64. Did somebody treat you badly in 2008?
In my opinion, yes, but maybe it wasn't intentional.
65. What was your most embarrassing moment of 2008?
This is always the hardest question for me to answer...either I don't get embarrassed, or I repress embarrassment so well that I can never remember what embarrassed me.
66. If you could go back in time to any moment of 2008 and change something, what would it be?
I don't know...this is tricky because changing that moment in time could then change all subsequent moments, right? I'd not lose the letter I was writing to my grandma so she wouldn't have had to wait so long to receive one!
67. What are you most looking forward to in 2009?
Going to the US, seeing family & friends and eating at Schoop's. Knowing where I'm going and getting where I'm going. The return of So You Think You Can Dance.
OH MY GOODNESS...that was a lot of questions. Is it still 2009??