Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Cookies!

My first UK cookie party was a success!
I've heard of a couple of different ways to do cookie exchanges, but I've kind of settled on my way: invite a certain, small # of people and have them bring their cookies counted out and pre-packaged. So that means that I need a pre-RSVP before I give the invitations so I know how many cookies to tell people to bring!

I was really lazy, overwhelmed & running low on time, so I just did a digital invite this year.
Unfortunately, I had a cancellation before I sent out the invites, but since I was running so late, it was too late for me to think of someone else to invite (and it would've been obvious that they were "second string!") so I just decided to make 2 kinds of cookies so everyone would still take home 6 dozen different kinds of cookies. (You can see my day of cookie/party prep here)

I decided that this year's "party favor" would be tiny knitted mittens...but I didn't finish them all in time for the party. Luckily, 2 of my guests live right nearby, so I promised to bring their mini mittens later!  I figured it was more important to get the dishes all wiped off and the beverage station set up (hot water in my carafes for hot apple cider, hot chocolate, and a variety of teas, plus eggnog, gingerbread eggnog, and of course, milk!). I had just finished vacuuming when my first guest, Jaclyn, arrived. I got the snacks set out and soon everyone was here.
My cookie party menu pretty much stays the same and is pretty much all red & green... sun-dried tomato-pesto dip with goat cheese, hot broccoli dip, spinach balls and cherry cheeseball. I also put out fudge, Buster bars & Buckeyes. In Okinawa, everyone loved the cherry cheeseball and the sun-dried tomato-pesto dip. Here, the broccoli dip & spinach balls were the big hit!


We ate, chatted, and took home lots of cookies:

Pumpkin-Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies (me)
Orange Infused Snowballs (me)
Egg Nog Cookies (Jaclyn)
Peanut Butter Blossoms (Wendy)
Pecan-topped Cheesecake cookies (Robyn)
Cranberry White-Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies (Sandi)
Maple Snickerdoodles (Concetta)

They were all delicious, and I have lots of them in my freezer since I couldn't possibly eat them all in the 2 days between my party and my flight!

1 comment:

Dogeared said...

Mmmmm, cookies! I went to a cookie/gingerbread house decorating party and it was fun! The hosts there made the cookie dough, but then we baked them and decorated them together.

The flavours you listed sound yummy!

Related Posts with Thumbnails