Saturday, April 05, 2008

We got a dog!



Isn't he sweet?

Well, he was only ours for about an hour and a half. Then we had to give him back to his owner.
This little dog broke my heart when he started running with us this morning. He was all skin and bones, his hips stuck up, his ribs stuck out, and his tail looked like a dinosaur spine at a museum.

But boy could he run! He started running with us by the seawall and ran 4.5 miles all the way back to our house with us! He was such a good boy, too! He never ran out in the street, he didn't bark at other dogs or people, although he did scare a cat away by sniffing it. He also jumped on one lady and the gate guard on our way back onto base, but just to be friendly! David wanted to run him off before we got back to the main road, but I started to cry just thinking about it! We had no idea where his home was, but he did have a collar and part of a leash, like he had broken off the rest of it. I had visions of taking this dog (who I named Pacey, by the way) home with us, nursing it back to health, and taking him running with me every day. David didn't exactly share my enthusiasm for getting a dog, even though I felt like this dog really needed us, and he obviously loved us, because he ran all that way with us.

When we got home, we hooked him to our neighbor's dog leash, gave him food and water (but he didn't eat) and had a Japanese-speaking friend call his owner. He said the owner sounded happy to hear that his dog had been found and we arranged pick-up. Pacey was ready and excited to jump right in the car!

He sat in the car like such a sweetie! I just love him! I was happy that he would be back home with his owner, but I still wished we could've kept him. It broke my heart when we gave him to his owner and the owner hadn't closed the car door yet and Pacey jumped out and ran after us as we headed back to our van. I miss that dog.

2 comments:

Dogeared said...

What a cutie! I love that one of him with his head on the grass. I remember a similar thing happening to me once - I met a Border Collie, and figured I'd keep an eye on him as long as he was on my run route, but he looked to be heading home (I memorised the phone number in the capsule on his collar, so I could check he did get home, when I'd finished). Bu he just kept running ahead of me! He ran the whole mile out and the mile back, and was such a smart dog - if cars were coming and I'd call "Get in!" he'd look at me and duck closer to the hedges on the road. Then after, he'd look round and I'd shout "Go on", and he'd speed up again.

I think his owner just let him roam though :-(

Anonymous said...

Brings back memories of Rusty, another trailblazer who followed you home and only stayed a few short days. wonder how he is doing
love mom

Related Posts with Thumbnails