Here's a little survey from my latest internet addiction, the Sew, Mama, Sew! Blog.
* Do you have a favorite gift that you love to give? Last year the gift I loved giving these beautiful Japanese Christmas ornaments. I went to the gift shop today and had to restrain myself from buying more...for the same people. I didn't buy one for myself last year, so I bought one for myself today. And I bought one for this month's bunco.
* If you’re making gifts this year, what are you making? (Post photos if you have some!) I've been very inspired by many of the things on the Sew Mama Sew tutorials, and have a few knitting projects in the works, but not sure I'll have time to make them AND get them shipped out. They might be "Christmas in July" gifts instead!
* Do you have any good stories about handcrafted gifts you’ve given or received? I don't know... last year I made this Joy wall-hanging as a party favor, and a 6th grade teacher thought it was so cool that she decided to have her whole class make something similar as their Christmas gift project.
* Do you have any great gift compilation ideas (a grouping of gifts just perfect for certain recipients?)Most of my great gift compilation ideas are for myself, or for bridal showers, but not really for Christmas. I went to a bridal shower once where the b/g were registered for a few movies. I got them a ceramic bowl, some microwave popcorn, a few DVDs, and a Blockbuster gift card. If I liked the couple more I might have included a blanket of some sort.
* Name one thing on your personal wish list. If I can wish for anything, it would be an embroidery machine. More realistically, one item on my wish list is Bend the Rules Sewing (just one?!?! that's hard...good thing my letter to Santa is below!)
* Do you make and sell things that would make fantastic gifts? (Link)No, but I should... maybe when I'm not a full-time first grade teacher.
* What is your favorite family holiday tradition? My favorite family holiday tradition is taking a nap at 9pm and waking up around midnight to hear the sleighbells. Then Santa comes in and opens presents with my whole wonderful family. I haven't gotten to spend Christmas with my family in a few years, and it's not the same anymore anyway because they don't usually meet on actual Christmas Eve. : (
* Have you started any new traditions with your family that you didn’t practice growing up? David and I hang the same first 3 ornaments every time. We do our decorating the day after Thanksgiving (I don't remember if we did that when I was a kid, because we used to get a real tree).
* What do you love most about the holiday season? Everything! But very most, the snow! Egg nog is a close second. The music and decorations... I could go on and on.
* What do you like least about the holiday season? The lines at the post office.
* Anyone close to your heart that you’ll be missing this year? Everybody! David and I are spending our second Christmas in a row alone together.
* What is your favorite holiday food? Does Egg Nog count as a food?
* Do you have a great recipe to share?Sure, this fudge is super-easy and gets lots of compliments wherever it goes.
2 packages (8 squares each) Baker's Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 tsp vanilla
1 c chopped nuts or toasted coconut (or not)
Microwave chocolate & milk in bowl 2 minutes or until chocolate is almost melted, stirring halfway through heating time. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Stir in vanilla and nuts (I don't like nuts in my fudge!). Spread in foil lined 8x8 pan (I think I actually use a 9x13) Refrigerate 2 hours until firm. Cut into squares and try to share!